There are no special forms required to submit a request, however, the Department of Veterans Affairs requires that your FOIA request:
- Be in writing (submitted via US Mail, special carrier, fax or email). If the requested records concern your personal privacy or that of another person, then the request must be signed. (See Signature Note below.)
- Reasonably describe the records so that they may be located with a reasonable amount of effort.
- State your willingness to pay applicable fees or provide a justification to support a fee waiver. Click here to view the different types of FOIA requester fee categories.
- Include a daytime telephone number and/or email address in case we need to contact you.
- Be submitted to the facility that maintains the records. If you don’t know where the records are located, submit your request to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please refer to our sample FOIA request if you seek information that pertains to a certain topic or an individual other than yourself. If you want records that concern your personal privacy or that of another person, refer to our sample Privacy Act request.
Requests by E-Mail
If you want records which are maintained outside of the VA Central Office (VACO), visit the following site and find the office that maintains the records you want: http://www.foia.va.gov/FOIA_Contacts.asp
If you don’t know where the records are located, or if the office that maintains the records does not have an electronic mailbox, submit your request to: email@example.com
Signature Note: If you (or your authorized representative) are requesting copies of VA records pertaining to yourself (i.e., VA claims records, medical records, etc.), your request is a Privacy Act request. In accordance with Department of Veterans Affairs policy, all Privacy Act requests must be signed by the requester before we can process the request.
If you are sending a Privacy Act request via email, please scan a copy of your signed request, attach it to your email, and send it to the appropriate electronic mailbox.
Protect your Personal Information. Please DO NOT send personally identifiable information such as social security numbers or claims numbers via unprotected email as it puts your information at risk.